I basted the quilted pieces together, and it just didn't work as a garment. So, the project was put aside for a bit. I decided that turning it into a Grainline Tamarack Jacket, with its closer fit, was worth a try. The pieces I'd sewn didn't exactly match up with the new pattern pieces...so pieces were added here, bits were removed there, and the hand quilting was repaired at the edges. The work was slow, but it was also (mostly) kind of fun. I usually like to zip through projects quickly, but this time I made an effort to slow down + enjoy the process. An hour or two spent working on it here or there made progress.
Pattern :: Grainline Studio Tamarack Jacket
Fabric :: Leftover bits of linen + cotton from garments + projects past
-No batting. I like the weight of the two layers of fabric as is.
-Sleeves are probably a little shorter than the pattern's (just where I like them)
-No curves in the sides of the hemline
-All of the inside seams + outside edges are covered with bias binding, which gives this jacket a very satisfyingly clean result.
-I like the jacket without snaps or zipper, but may change my mind. At the moment, I'm picturing wearing it open or tied at the waist.
-I'm not sure if it looks super crafty, but I like it anyway. :)
I think much of the appeal of making this jacket was that I knew those scraps could come together to make a complete garment. I wanted to see just what those offcuts could become...because they didn't need to be waste.