Summer is in full effect. It's Hot...with a capital H...and that is not going to change for weeks. This means that there are pieces of clothing that I am not going to reach for for weeks.
There are a few reasons that I find it helpful to curate my closet in this way:
- Having all of the clothing in my closet be wearable right now makes me feel more at ease. Even though there are fewer pieces, I feel like I have things to wear rather than seeing so many things that I can't wear.
- When I do this curation, I have the opportunity to assess "enough". I can see that I have enough tops to mix + match with my bottoms. I can think through how many times I would wear those two dresses, if I wore one once a week. This usually stops me from feeling like I need to shop.
- I can put away something that doesn't have a match during this season. Now I don't feel like I need something to make those pants useful. I can just rest in enough elsewhere + get them out again in the autumn.
- My closet feels more spacious. I can put some pieces in a box on the top shelf + enjoy the breeziness of what remains.
- It feels more exciting to reconnect with pieces I haven't seen in a while, when I get them out later.
On second thought, this is the perfect time for me to do a closet weeding. It's been hot for a few weeks, and I actually know what I'm wearing now. What I plan to wear is usually a bit different than what I actually choose to wear.
The way I like to do this weeding is to pull everything out + put pieces into categories (tops, tees, tanks, jeans, pants, dresses, shorts, etc.). I pull out the pieces that I'm wearing right now + put them back into the closet. I can think through how I'm feeling enough-wise as I go. An adjustment can be made to add one more tee, because it helps with laundry. I might let a couple of last year's tees go, because they are too sheer or short. I can put a couple away, because I wear them more often under a sweater in cooler months.
I always find it so interesting that "less" makes me feel more satisfied...settled...content! Magic!