- The bright side is that I'm pretty resourceful, and I'm willing to bet that you are too!
- The bright side is also that our fridge's + cupboard's state of bareness was a great time to get in there + clean. :)
- One more bright side is that getting to the bottom of things brings all the left over bits + bobs into the spotlight.
- I can get a bit excited about using it all up + not wasting things that have been waiting to be used.
And so...making the most out of all those bright sides...the last four meals we ate were made with a laugh + what must have been a bit of magic. Oh, and they got compliments too! Ha! Here's what I've got to say about that:
- Make it a challenge! Might as well have some fun with it!
- Meal 1 :: Add cheese + call it a casserole. A can of beans, a few handfuls of frozen corn, 4 tortillas + a can of enchilada sauce layered with cheese. (A hit!)
- Meal 2 :: Call it (almost) risotto. Rice, two kinds of cheese (because there wasn't much of either left), peas, butter, salt + pepper flakes. Add a second course of the last carrots + the last of that chip dip.
- Meal 3 :: I was asked if I needed anything at the grocery store...Oh, can you grab me a box of pasta? Pasta, lemon, parmesan, chives from the garden, half a can of chick peas, salt + pepper flakes. (Well, this is pretty close to one of our favorites...so...winner.) And also...a few kiwis.
- Meal 4 :: Add cake (that egg is only a few days past the expiration date) + sun tea. All the last bits of beans + two kinds of salsa + corn + cheese + were mixed into rice + topped off with hot sauce. (I think the tea + cake saved the day on this one!)
A few good meals to consider when seeking to stave off the next trip to the grocery store:
- frittata :: when I've neglected to use most of the eggs + have a bit of veg to throw in too
- roasted vegetables topped with nuts + seeds :: can save some of those past-their-prime veggies
- cereal :: oatmeal, if ya wanna get fancy :)
- soup :: stone optional
- fried rice :: a couple of eggs = protein
- taco casserole :: I try to keep beans on hand + often have some left over tortillas...add some cheese + salsa = a favorite
- salad :: the last of the veg (fruits too), bits of beans, nuts, seeds, cheese, a squeeze of citrus + a glug of olive oil...anything goes
- pizza or focaccia :: sauce + cheese optional