the pattern envelope pictures my ideal shirtdress... it's just the right amount oversized with a low collar, rolled sleeves, and somewhat tapered toward the bottom so as to not be too flowy. the shape is what i bought the pattern for, and i am not disappointed.
since the seam allowances included were only 1 cm, and i knew that i wanted french seams, i cut out a size and a half bigger than my measurements called for. i figured that i was going for an oversized fit anyway, so wouldn't mind if there was a little more room. it was a good thing that i made this adjustment, because i don't think that i would have been happy with the fit otherwise.
i must say that the instructions were a bit of a disappointment. if sewn according to the instructions provided, this dress would be full of raw edges prone to fraying and would look totally unfinished on the inside. the option of overlocking all the edges of each piece before sewing was mentioned, but i never seem to have much success with that method. it is difficult to keep the edges from bunching when zigzagging the edges of lighter-weight fabrics. with a bit of sewing knowledge this lack of instruction can be remedied, however. french seams and enclosed edgings enable the finished product to be quite lovely. i had to remain mindful during my entire process and felt as though i were solving a puzzle. the seam ripper got a little use too. :)
the buttons are quite far apart, and i am concerned that there could be some gaping with sitting, so i think i may end up sewing the button packet closed (sew one seam along the inside edge of the button placket in order to keep it looking functional- here that would be to the left of the buttons...and start below the second button down).
sewing pattern: the makers atelier oversized shirtdress
fabric: keiko goke yuwa cotton (shirting weight)