In the past, I've approached the idea of my simple wardrobe by thinking through silhouettes I want to embrace. Maybe this goes along with that, but I feel that my thinking has evolved. I am understanding with more clarity what I feel good wearing + what works for my life. Maybe I am just settling into being satisfied with what that means for me. Anyway...I am feeling differently these days.
I've noticed two things in particular that have moved me toward these feelings:
- I found my jeans :: I've said before that I could live without jeans. That's still true, but jeans do work particularly well for my job as a coffee roaster. About a year ago, I found my jeans...not the jeans that I thought I was searching for...not the jeans that I find most intriguing or new or stylish. I found my jeans...the ones that feel like me...the color + shape I want to wear. These jeans work well with every sort of top I want to wear...further confirming that they belong in my personal basics.
- I recognized one outfit in particular that I feel I could wear every day :: This outfit feels like me. When I wear it I don't feel conscious of any part of my body. It feels comfortable + appropriate. I can wear different shoes (with this top + pants) that change the look + feel of the outfit and make it work in various climates.
These two realizations may not seem like much, but they bring me so much peace + comfort. They feel like a resting place in my quest to know "enough". I want to own less + to wear what I have until it wears out. I have found that this means I don't need much. The more I have, the less I wear each piece...and chances are that I will tire of a piece before it is worn out. It is best to have a few versatile pieces that I want to wear over + over.
The pieces I have landed on are probably the least important part of this. The point is for each of us to personalize our own basics. A few questions that might be helpful:
- Is there an outfit I would be happy to wear over + over again?
- Is there a piece that I always reach for as soon as it's clean?
- Do I have a signature piece?
- Is something stopping me from having "everyday pants" or wearing the same thing again + again? Am I ready to challenge that fear?
- What values are most important to me here?
I truly feel that love is the key to sustainability. Once we establish where our true values lie (for me that's with people, planet, plant + animal life), we can put other desires (maybe personal style + fun) in their rightful places.
All photos via links.