- taking a look at what I've worn this season :: it's a great time to let go of things that have proven unnecessary this year
- thinking through my personal basics + what pieces will serve me in the season ahead
- pulling out all of my clothing for the season to come :: so that I can curb the desire to add unnecessary pieces
I started going through my clothing one category at a time, beginning with my tees. Changes in my work have changed what I now find useful in this category. I find it useful to:
- pull out all of my tees + tanks...work, workout, summer, winter, short-sleeved, long-sleeved, layering...so I can see them all in the same place
- NOT just decide what I still like + what I don't
- decide what I need...what is "enough"...in each of my categories (work, home, out, seasonally, short-sleeved, long-sleeved, sleeveless, sleepwear)
- shop what I have for what I need :: worn out things + things I don't like don't make the cut :: trying on whole outfits as I go
- embrace multifunctionality :: if two tanks work for three different categories = yippee!
- look at what I end up with + be honest about it whether it is too much vs. enough
- make a specific list of things that I need to meet "enough"
- move discards to another place in the house right away
I will move through the rest of my clothing in the same way. I am noticing the few pieces that I hold on to from year to year for whatever reason. I have just a few pieces that I remember putting on a couple of times each season happy that I haven't let them go for one reason or another. I'm really challenging those right now. They have a way of making me feel uncertain each time I look at them. I know that I will always choose another piece over that one, so why hold on to it? The fact that it fits or is nice fabric may not be reason enough. Maybe this year I'm ready to let go + let it be worn out there.
I always feel so much more sure of myself + more able to resist the pull of "new" in favor of beautiful contentment after this practice. I can feel a beautiful sense of satisfaction with the purchase or two that I do make...and I can get out there + notice the buds on the trees...the crocuses + the daffodils! A new season is on it's way!