This morning I have a quote I heard on a podcast on my mind:
over + over again,
is the very root of judgement, character + will.
The necessity of this practice is something many of us have discovered for ourselves. I've been thinking so much lately about how my perspective informs my outlook, feelings + experience. It really is everything. I find it so difficult to lasso + keep my perspective corralled from day to day or even moment to moment. Hearing others validate the need for this practice + also point towards its rewards makes me feel both understood + motivated.
I thought it might be helpful to make a list of what I want to bring my attention back to...and ways that I jumpstart connection to my chosen values + perspective. Maybe you'd like to play along. :)
Here's what I jotted down today:
-My thoughts on simple living...or...
-My simple thoughts on living...or...
-Where to bring my wandering thoughts back to...
- fruits + vegetables
I like keeping this list very simple. I don't want to complicate my focus + direction. Each of these words might spark different thoughts in different situations + on different days.
- walk in the woods...look up...look down...breathe deeply...
- look up at tall trees, clouds, sunsets, stars...
- eat a piece of fruit + be present to it all...marvel at it...smell...look...listen...taste...
- make something...visualize...plan...see what happens...feel the sensation of cutting...work...engage...play...
- ride a bike...feel the wind...push forward...coast...look...
- eat outside
- celebrate solstice
- touch soil + plants
- walk barefoot
- walk, walk, walk...short...long...wander...explore...
This second list is certainly just the beginning. I want to add to it over time + to keep it somewhere handy + prominent. Bringing my wandering attention back over + over is a practice, and I want it to be as simple as possible to educate my attention.